In the week of October 30th to November 3rd (44th calendar week), healthcare providers can place orders for a range of Covid-19 vaccines. However, it’s important to note that specific centrally procured vaccines are no longer available due to their approaching expiration date. The German Pharmacists Association (DAV) has issued a statement to this effect.
Ordering Covid-19 Vaccines
Pharmacies are required to order Covid-19 vaccines for the week of October 30th to November 3rd, 2023 (44th calendar week) by Tuesday, October 24th, 2023, no later than 6:00 PM. According to the DAV, the following Covid-19 vaccines are available for order by public pharmacies, contract physicians, private physicians, hospital doctors, and the Public Health Service (ÖGD):
- Comirnaty® Original/Omicron BA.4-5 (15/15 µg)/Dose
- Comirnaty® Original/Omicron BA.4-5 for Children (5 to 11 Years) (5/5 µg)/Dose
- Comirnaty® Omicron XBB.1.5 30 µg/Dose
- Comirnaty® Omicron XBB.1.5 for Children (5 to 11 Years) 10 µg/Dose
- Comirnaty® Omicron XBB.1.5 for Children (6 Months to 4 Years) 3 µg/Dose
- Spikevax® Bivalent Original/Omicron BA.4-5 (50 µg/50 µg)/ml
- COVID-19 Vaccine Valneva
It’s worth noting that healthcare providers are advised to order only the actual requirements for the upcoming week and avoid stockpiling. Currently, specific maximum order quantities for Covid-19 vaccines have not been set by the Federal Ministry of Health (BMG).
Expiry of Some Vaccines
As per the information provided by the Center for Pandemic Vaccines and Therapeutics (ZEPAI), the shelf life of all batches of certain centrally procured vaccines will expire after October 31, 2023. The following vaccines, due to their short remaining shelf life, are no longer available for vaccination orders in the 44th calendar week:
- Comirnaty® Original/Omicron BA.1 (15/15 µg)/Dose Injection Dispersion from BioNTech
- Comirnaty® for Children (5 to 11 Years) 10 µg/Dose Concentrate for the Preparation of an Injection Dispersion from BioNTech
- Comirnaty® for Children (6 Months to 4 Years) 3 µg/Dose Concentrate for the Preparation of an Injection Dispersion from BioNTech
- JCOVDEN® by Janssen-Cilag
- VidPrevtyn® Beta Solution and Emulsion for the Preparation of an Injection Emulsion from Sanofi
This development emphasizes the importance of timely vaccine procurement and distribution. Healthcare providers need to remain vigilant and ensure that orders are placed to meet the immediate needs of the population. As the situation evolves, it’s crucial to stay updated on vaccine availability and recommendations from relevant health authorities.